Sunday, October 1, 2017

License to Climb

Yesterday morning I dragged my butts out of the bed at 8.45am to go to attend the 4 hours basic wall course for indoor rock climbing at Camp5, BU. I almost wanted to cancel as I was very tired and lazy to get out of bed, but I told myself I need to be disciplined and attend the class or else I won't be able to take private lessons starting October. As mentioned in my previous post, I have decided to take up indoor rock climbing as my new hobby and a new sport. Is actually a good exercise as it works the whole body muscles, helps to build strength and tone up my physique. It will also allows me to distress and train my mental focus as I can't think of anything except how to climb my way to the top. Haha.

It was a small group - 5 of us only (max is 12. min 4 for a class to be confirmed) . 1st part lasted 2 hours and I learned a little bit more about rock climbing such as the tools we are going to use to help us to climb safely, how to belay, how to tie a double 8 knot, the safety aspects and the 2 golden rules in rock climbing - "never let go of the rope no matter what'. Unfortunately, I forgot the other golden rule. My bad. I will ask my instructor next week when I meet her for my 1st lesson with her.
We were given a 30 mins break before the 2nd session starts. Another 2 hours. And in this last part of the session, we were given the opportunities to belay and climb different rocks formation. We started with the easy route and I managed to climb both times to the top and I belayed 2x too. Belaying is very tiring and can be roughed on the hands too as I had to keep pulling and feeding the rope during ascent and descent. There are 5 steps in belaying and most important of all is no matter what happened I MUSTN'T let go of the rope or else my partner might be injured.

I tried bouldering too and it was fun. Bouldering is not more than 20 feet high and don't need to use a rope to climb. But it requires a spotter to watch out for the climber and to make sure that if the climber fall down he/she will be safe. Again, I climbed 2x successfully. Definitely, I would said my strength was so much better this time around compared to the 1st time I tried about 8 months ago. I'm proud of myself and although it weren't much an achievement to successfully climbed to the top 4x, I was still happy and proud of my little progress. I know that if I practice regularly, I will grow stronger physically and gain more strength. Not to mention that I will have a nice tone body. Haha.

After the completion of the class, we were given a certificate to confirm that we are capable to do solo climbing (except Elite Level and above). Our certificate is also recognised worldwide apparently. All I have to do is to take a photo of the certificate and show it when I want to do indoor climbing in any camps located around the world. At least that was what the instructor told us when he handed us the certificate. I will ask again when I want to try other gyms in other countries (not sure when yet). Haha. I have acquired the "license to climb". Once I become a better climber, I will challenge myself to climb using only 1 color of holds and the wall. I know it will be very tough, but I will try it!!
My arms and shoulder blades are sore, but is bearable. I actually feel accomplished and am looking forward to the private lessons I'm going to take starting next Wednesday. I think I will sign up for 8 classes 1st. If I like it, I will sign up more later.

When I was younger, I didn't have the chance to pursue all these activities and I also didn't think I was brave enough to do it. But once I turned 40 years old, my mindset changed and I want to try more new challenging activities and sports. I saw a lot of people who went there alone and climbed on the auto walls when they didn't need someone to belay for them. I will do that too once I have become a better climber 😀.

My goal is to be able to become an Elite climber. Wish me luck ok. Haha. (1 more tick off for my bucket lists)

No comments:

Post a Comment