Friday, July 8, 2016

Stress Management.....another perspective

This morning I read a short article on FB posted by someone. Below is the article:
"A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"
Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.
She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."
It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!"
I gave further thought to what she said and realized that she was absolutely right. Every time when I spent long hours stressing over something, my moodiness will appears and hamper my abilities to function normally and properly. I would just sat there and did nothing, but sulked!!! It is bad for my health because it affects my entire well being - mentally, emotionally and physically.
I gained another perspective on how to manage stress management thanks to this unnamed psychologist. And now when I hold a glass of water I'll remember the above and practice it. I'll also share it with people whenever I know they are stress.
Another simple way to de-stress is to look at the mirror and smile until you get a genuine and happy smile that lit up your face. Whenever I'm stress or unhappy and I couldn't get myself out of the negative thinking state, I'll smile and take deep breath until I feel good again. It works for me. I always feel my head is lighter, my body is more relaxed and I'm happier after such simple acts of smiling and taking a deep breath.
But it is also important that you need to have a very strong state of mind because only you can get pull yourself out of the negative mindset and no one else. People can give you advices and suggestions, but if you don't practice those advices and suggestions it would be just words and nothing else. No one can cure you, but yourself. Always remember that no one can change your thinking if you don't want to change it yourself. Maybe you'll say hypnotize can change your thinking. Maybe is possible, maybe is not. But 1 thing for sure is that if you have a strong and positive mindset, even hypnotize won't be able to change your thinking, therefore, it is important that we learn how to pull ourselves out of the messy mindset we put ourselves in and not rely too much on external helps.
Remember ONLY YOU can change the way you think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment